Equifax is seeking a Director, State Government Relations to develop, execute, and manage state and local government relations objectives for Equifax within the following states: AZ, CO, NV, NM, OR, UT and WA. The Director, Government Relations will be responsible for direct lobbying, developing trusted relationships with legislators, governors, regulators and state agencies to influence policy/legislation involving issues consistent with Equifax business interests and objectives. The Director, Government Relations will also be accountable for identifying business risks and opportunities and developing strategies to ensure advancement of business priorities and public policy goals.
This role will have a continual focus on increasing the presence and reputation of Equifax across assigned states, while finding strategic alignment between business objectives, government programs and other trends. The Director, Government Relations will be responsible for managing state government relations priorities in their region, providing sound legislative and regulatory advice, collaborating with other Directors and business leaders, as well as other activities as directed by the Senior Director, Government Relations - West and Vice President, U.S. Government Relations. This position is remote and the individual can be based in AZ, CO, NV, NM, OR, UT or WA.
- Support the Equifax Government Vertical by expanding states’ use of Equifax products and services, including verifications, credit data and identity and fraud solutions, through legislative and regulatory engagement
- Build and leverage working relationships with key lawmakers, regulators and state agencies within region to create new sales opportunities while also protecting existing contracts
- Identify and manage legislation and regulations within region that could create value or cause strategic harm to Equifax
- Develop legislative strategies and positions supporting Equifax’s government relations objectives, which include development of policy briefing documents, legislative testimony, amendments, comments and policy white papers as needed
- Manage consultants and other external resources to advance the company’s agenda in key states
- Develop substantial knowledge of Equifax products and services and key laws that regulate business
- Work with the relevant state managers at the Consumer Data Industry Association
- Other duties as assigned including, but not limited to, monthly reporting, business unit updates,
Competencies/Skills required to be successful in role:
- Thorough understanding of the legislative/political process
- Established network of political and state agency contacts
- Proven track record of government relations accomplishments
- Strong written and verbal communication skills and experience creating and effectively delivering factual, relevant and easily understandable talking points and other messaging
- Ability to interact effectively with a wide range of external audiences and with company management
- Ability to work on a remote team while staying connected to a broader government relations team
- MS Office including Word & PowerPoint
- Legal research
- 3+ years of relevant experience in state government, government relations or direct lobbying
- Knowledge of government benefits programs preferred but not required
- Bachelor's degree from a 4-year college or university
- Moderate travel (25-50%)
Who is Equifax?
At Equifax, we believe knowledge drives progress. As a global data, analytics and technology company, we play an essential role in the global economy by helping employers, employees, financial institutions and government agencies make critical decisions with greater confidence.
We work to help create seamless and positive experiences during life’s pivotal moments: applying for jobs or a mortgage, financing an education or buying a car. Our impact is real and to accomplish our goals we focus on nurturing our people for career advancement and their learning and development, supporting our next generation of leaders, maintaining an inclusive and diverse work environment, and regularly engaging and recognizing our employees. Regardless of location or role, the individual and collective work of our employees makes a difference and we are looking for talented team players to join us as we help people live their financial best.